At the Monaco Grand Prix, Aston Martin believes in the chance of its first victory in Formula 1. “Yes,” said team boss Mike Krack on Thursday morning, “we have high hopes. Our drivers sat in the simulator and were thrilled. The course without long Straight suits us.”
In five races so far this season, Red Bull has won five with Max Verstappen and Sergio Perez. In Monaco (Sunday, 3 p.m.) the competition is hoping for the first realistic chance of beating the world champions. The slow corners in the principality could be particularly Aston Martin and Ferrari, but so far that’s theory.
“We can’t lose sight of the competition,” said Krack, “we don’t really know how strong Red Bull is on high-down force courses. We look to the stars and keep our feet on the ground.”
Aston Martin is the second force in the field in the young season, Fernando Alonso is third in the drivers’ standings behind Verstappen and Perez. Most recently, the Brits, still a midfield team last year, have set the course for even greater success in the future: Aston Martin will be supplied with engines by Honda from 2026 and will then have the status of a works team. The racing team currently obtains its drive as an engine customer from Mercedes.
Alonso (41) is currently a big factor in the team’s success, earning significantly more points than teammate Lance Stroll. In principle, Krack is also planning to work with the Spaniard for the period from 2026, when Aston Martin wants to compete for the world title. “I don’t see a single reason why Fernando shouldn’t be with us anymore,” he said.